If you try to understand how the core of programming of Multi Protocol Instant Messenger aka All in One Chat Client, you can just study how they works through their code. Of course, the best way to get the code of Multi Client Service like that is just get the Open Source Software.
Open Source Multi Protocol Instant Messenger
Some of these Open Source Multi Protocol Instant Messenger below, might been reviewed in this blog, some others aren’t yet. Here are the lists of All in One Chat client with Open Source License (usually GNU / GPL License):
- Adium – works for Mac OSX – supports IM, ICQ, MobileMe, MSN / WLM, Jabber, Yahoo Messenger, Bonjour, MySpace IM, Lotus Sametime, Novell Groupwise, QQ, Gadu-Gad.
- Ayttm – works for Windows, Linux, BSD – can be used to connect to Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger aka Windows Live Messenger, Jabber (should be OK in GTalk), IRC aka Internet Relay chat, AIM aka AOL IM, and also IC.
- Proteus – for Mac OS X, works to connect to AOL Instant Messenger AIM, Google Talk, ICQ, Lotus Sametime, Yahoo Messenger, Yahoo Messenger Japan, Gadu Gadu, iChat Bonjour, Jabber, Microsoft Messenger aka MSN aka Windows Live Messenger WLM
- Pidgin – platform OS in Windows, Fedora Core, CentOS / RHEL – Connect to AIM, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, Google Talk, Groupwise, ICQ, IRC, MSN, MySpaceIM, QQ, SILC, SIMPLE, Sametime, XMPP, Yahoo!, Zephy
- BitlBee – for Windows – Supports Windows Live Messenger, Google Talk, AIM aka AOL Instant Messenger, ICQ, Jabber, and Internet Relay Chat / IRC.
- Miranda IM – for Windows – Supports AOL Instant Messenger, Gadu Gadu, IAX aka Inter Asterisk Exchange, ICQ, IRC aka Internet Relay Chat, Jabber, MSN aka WLM aka Windows Live Messenger, Netsend, Tlen, Yahoo Messenger.
- InstantBird – for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux – connects to AIM aka AOL Instant Messenger, MSN Messenger aka Windows Live Messenger, YM aka Yahoo Messenger, GTalk aka Google Talk, Gadu gadu, ICQ, IRC, QQ, XMPP
Those are some of example of Open Source Multi Protocol Instant Messenger. For others example of all in one instant Messenger (IM) with open source license such as QuteCom, qutIM, Fire, Fama IM, Empathy, EKG2, Colloquy, CenterIM, Kopete, SIM, Wippien, climm, and many more.